India had launched Operation Kaveri on April 24 to evacuate Indians from war-torn Sudan

A C130 J flight operated by the Indian Air Force transported 47 Indian nationals who had earlier been evacuated from violence-hit Sudan, from Jeddah to India on Friday. With this, the total number of individuals rescued from Sudan under Operation Kaveri has reached 3862, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar said on Twitter.

Operation Kaveri was launched on April 24, after fierce clashes between the Sudanese army and the paramilitary's Rapid Support Forces which have killed at least 450 people and injured 4,000 since April 15.

In his post, EAM Jaishankar said the Indian nationals were moved from Port Sudan to safety in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia via 17 Indian Air Force flights and 5 Indian Navy Ship sorties. From Jeddah, Indian Air Force and commercial flights brought the evcuated people home. An additional 86 nationals were evacuated through the countries bordering Sudan, he noted.

"The flight from Wadi Sayyidna which was executed at great risk also deserves recognition," EAM Jaishankar wrote, referring to the flight which took off with Indian nationals, including family members of Indian Embassy staff members, from an air base near Sudanese capital Khartoum.

According to the External Affairs Minister, Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s commitment to ensuring the safety and security of all Indians abroad was their inspiration. "Moving passengers to Port Sudan from various locations across the country in precarious security circumstances was a complex exercise," he explained.

"We are grateful to Saudi Arabia for hosting them and facilitating this process. Also appreciate the support of Chad, Egypt, France, South Sudan, UAE, UK, USA and UN," EAM Jaishankar said. Furthermore, he thanked Minister of State for External Affairs V Muraleedharan, saying his presence on the ground was "a source of strength and reassurance".

"Applaud the spirit, perseverance and courage of all those involved in #OperationKaveri. Our Embassy in Khartoum showed exceptional dedication in this difficult time. Efforts by #TeamIndia stationed in Saudi Arabia and MEA Rapid Response Cell coordinating in India were commendable," he added in his tweet.

In addition to the evacuations carried out from Port Sudan, 20 people departed from N’Djamena (Chad) in two batches of 2 and 18 onboard flights destined for Chennai and Bengaluru respectively. These evacuees had crossed over from Sudan into Chad through the adjoining land border, MEA Spokesperson Arindam Bagchi tweeted on Thursday.

With nearly all the Indian nationals having been safely evacuated from Sudan, the transit facility created in Jeddah has now been closed. "Today, we closed down the transit facility created at the International Indian School Jeddah @IndianPage for Sudan evacuees during #OperationKaveri. The facility provided comfort to more than 3500 evacuees & served as the nerve centre for planning their onwards movement to India," the Indian Embassy in Saudi Arabia tweeted on Friday.