Substantial decline in terrorism incidents, infiltration of terrorists in J&K: Home Ministry
The government said it has instituted a robust security and intelligence grid
The security situation in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) has improved substantially and there has been a significant decline in terrorist incidents and infiltration of terrorists from across the border, the government informed the Lok Sabha on Tuesday.
At the same time, several steps have been taken to speed up development in the Union Territory, the government said.
The government has instituted a robust security and intelligence grid along with proactive operations against terrorists, Minister of State for Home Affairs Nityanand Rai said in a written reply to a question in the Lok Sabha.
According to figures shared by Rai, the Estimated Net Infiltration has gone down from 143 in 2018 to 34 in 2021.
Similarly, the number of terrorist incidents had declined from 417 in 2018 to 229 in 2021, the MoS Home added in his reply.
He also outlined several steps taken by the government to boost development of Jammu & Kashmir.
* The progress of projects being implemented in the Union Territory (UT) of J&K under the Prime Minister's Development Package-2015 has been accelerated. 53 projects pertaining to 15 Ministries are being implemented at a cost of Rs. 58,477 crore, in various sectors such as Roads, Power, Health, Education, Tourism, Agriculture, Skill Development etc., out of which 25 projects have been completed/substantially completed.
* A New Central Sector Scheme has been notified on 19/02/2021 for the Industrial Development of the UT of J&K, with an outlay of Rs. 28,400 crore, which is likely to provide employment to over 4.5 lakh people while boosting the industrial development of J&K.
* The Government of J&K has approved a business revival package of Rs. 1,352.99 crore on 25th September, 2020.
* Under languishing projects programme, 1,193 projects worth Rs.1,984 crore were completed, including 5 projects which were incomplete for more than 20 years, 15 projects for more than 15 years and 165 projects for more than 10 years.
* J&K has been declared Open Defecation Free (ODF) under Swachh Bharat Mission.
* 100 percent saturation has been achieved in 17 Individual beneficiary centric schemes, including Saubhagya, Ujala, Ujjwala and Indradhanush schemes.
* During the year 2020-21, 1,289 road construction works were completed at a cost of Rs.1,638 crore. The construction work of 14,500 km of roads has been completed so far under the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojna, which has connected about 2,000 places.
* Work has been taken up for setting up of one All India Institute of Medical Sciences each in J&K Divisions at a cost of Rs. 2,000 crore each, besides 7 other medical colleges in the UT of J&K.
* Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Jammu and Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Jammu have been made functional.