On Independence Day, PM Modi announces Gati Shakti, a 100 trillion rupee national infrastructure plan
The plan will help increase the productivity of industries, PM Modi said
India will launch Gati Shakti, a Rs 1 lakh crore (Rs 100 trillion or $1.35 trillion) national infrastructure plan, to help generate jobs and expand use of cleaner fuels to achieve the country's climate goals, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced on Sunday.
Speaking from the ramparts of the Red Fort in New Delhi to mark India's Independence Day celebrations, PM Modi said this infrastructure programme will help increase the productivity of industries and boost the economy.
"We will launch a masterplan for Gati Shakti, a big programme ... (it) will create job opportunities for hundreds of thousands," the Indian Prime Minister said.
According to PM Modi, the national infrastructure master project will lay the foundation for holistic infrastructure and give an integrated pathway to India's economy.
"To further increase our developmental progress, we have to focus on our manufacturing and export," he added.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi also set a target of becoming 'energy independent' by 2047 through a mix of electric mobility, gas-based economy, doping ethanol in petrol and making the country a hub for hydrogen production.
"The country is also emphasizing on Mission Circular Economy. Our Vehicle Scrap Policy is a great example of the same. Today, India is the only country in the group of G-20 countries, which is moving fast towards achieving its climate goals, he explained.
"Our goal is to develop a nation where we not only have world-class infrastructure but also move ahead with the mantra of 'Minimum government, maximum governance'," PM Modi stressed.
The other highlights of PM Modi's address included:
* It is a moment of pride for us that because of our scientists, we were able to develop two Make in India COVID Vaccines and carry out the world's Largest Vaccine Drive
* The country needs to apply scientific research and suggestions to the agriculture sector to provide food security and to increase food production
* The government will develop an e-commerce platform for the products made by women self-help groups (SHGs) in villages
* Fortified rice will be distributed to the poor through schemes like Midday Meal in a bid to address the problem of malnutrition
* All Sainik Schools in the country will now be open for girls also