Indian and Chinese troops disengage in Gogra in eastern Ladakh
The troops in this area have been in a face-off since May last year
India and China have agreed to disengage in the area of Gogra, restoring the Line of Actual Control, the Indian Army said in a statement on Friday.
At the 12th round of talks between the Corps Commanders of India and China at Chushul Moldo Meeting Point in Eastern Ladakh on July 31, both sides had a candid and in-depth exchange of views on resolution of remaining areas related to disengagement along the Line of Actual Control in the Western Sector of India-China border areas.
As per the agreement, both sides have ceased forward deployments in this area in a phased, coordinated and verified manner.
The disengagement process was carried out over two days i.e. August 4 and 5, 2021. The troops of both sides are now in their respective permanent bases.
All temporary structures and other allied infrastructure created in the area by both sides have been dismantled and mutually verified. The landform in the area has been restored by both sides to pre-stand off period.
This agreement ensures that the LAC in this area will be strictly observed and respected by both sides, and that there is no unilateral change in status quo.
With this one more sensitive area of face-off has been resolved. Both sides have expressed commitment to take the talks forward and resolve the remaining issues along the LAC in the Western Sector.
The Indian Army along with ITBP is totally committed to ensure the sovereignty of the nation and maintain peace and tranquility along the LAC in the Western Sector.
With the resolution in Gogra, India and China have now backed down in four of the six flashpoints - the others being Galwan and North and South banks of the Pangong Lake. The standoffs in Depsang and Hot Springs continue.
“With this, one more sensitive area of face-off has been resolved. Both sides have expressed commitment to take the talks forward and resolve the remaining issues along the LAC in the Western Sector,” the Indian Army said.
On Thursday, Spokesperson of the Ministry of External Affairs Arindam Bagchi said the recent India-China military talks on the eastern Ladakh row were “candid and constructive and both sides agreed to resolve the remaining issues in an expeditious manner.”