Seven Indian nationals kidnapped in Libya, released
All seven Indian nationals were working in Libya and were kidnapped from the Asshwerif area on September 14
All seven Indian nationals who were kidnapped last month from Libya, have finally been released, the Ministry of External Affairs said in a statement
“We are happy to inform that the seven Indian nationals who had been abducted at Asshwerif in Libya on 14 September were finally released yesterday (11 October),” the MEA said.
All seven Indian nationals hailed from Bihar, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat and Utter Pradesh
Indian Ambassador to Tunisia,Puneet Roy Kundal spoke to all seven people over phone after they were handed over by the abductors to the company, Al Shola Al Mudia.
“All of them are in good health and are currently staying in the company’s premises in Brega. We are trying to complete requisite formalities to enable their return to India,” the MEA said.
“We convey our sincere thanks to the Libyan authorities and the tribal elders from the region for their steadfast cooperation in securing the release of our nationals unharmed. Both our Ambassador to Tunisia and our local consular staff were in constant touch with them and the company all through the crisis” the MEA added.
In the meanwhile, the Ministry has further reiterated that there is a ban on travel of Indian nationals to Libya, irrespective of the purpose, since May 2016 because of the security situation there.