India strongly condemns the attack on MINUSCA peacekeepers in the Central African Republic
The attacks resulted in the death of a peacekeeper from Rwanda on January 13 and one from Burundi on January 15
India has condemned the attack on peacekeepers of the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission Central Africa Republic (MINUSCA).
“India strongly condemns the attack on peacekeepers of MINUSCA in the Central African Republic, that has resulted in the death of a peacekeeper from Rwanda on 13 January and one from Burundi on 15 January,” the Ministry of External Affairs said in a statement in Tuesday.
“We extend our deepest condolences to the bereaved families of the peacekeepers from Rwanda and Burundi, and also wish for the speedy recovery of the injured,” it added.
Two United Nations peacekeepers were killed after their convoy was ambushed by members of the UPC and anti-Balaka armed groups in southern Central African Republic (CAR), the UN Mission in the country said on Monday.
According to a report by UN News, the attack took place some 17 kilometers (about 11 miles) from Bangassou, the capital of the Mbomou prefecture. UN peacekeepers had retaken control of the city on Friday after it captured two weeks earlier by anti-government armed groups.
The head of the UN MINUSCA Mankeur Ndiaye has also condemned the attack and stressed that the Mission “will work with the Central African authorities to ensure that the perpetrators and accomplices of these war crimes are arrested and held accountable for their acts.”
Earlier this month, two UN peacekeepers were killed in separate targeted attacks in the Central African Republic.
Also, in December last year, three peacekeepers from Burundi in the Central African Republic were killed and several were wounded.
“We also remember the three Burundian MINUSCA peacekeepers who had laid down their lives on 25 December last year,” the MEA statement added.